Skip to main content

How to Get Rid Of Weeds

How To Get Rid of Weeds

What is the number 1 enemy of gardening? Weeds. They seem to always be around. There’s a number of reasons as to why they come around and a number of ways to get rid of them. So, lets get into it.

If you see weeds, this isn’t necessarily a bad sign. It means that your soil is healthy. You could rip the weed out of the soil and think problem solved. Although, that’s not entirely how it works. Weeds are only really gone if you pull them out from the roots. Otherwise, they’ll make a reappearance before you know it. You can buy weed killer from the store, which works well. But there’s a diy you may not know about: vinegar. It’s inexpensive and chances are you may already have it in the kitchen.

If you’re going to get rid of weeds, it would probably do you some good to figure out why they show up in the first place. Usually, this is because:

  • the roots still remain in the soil

as I stated earlier, if the roots are not pulled up with the weeds, then they will most definitely come back

  • you live by the woods

often times, birds will drop seeds as they travel, and chances are they’ll drop them where you don’t want them to. Another possibility is the wind.

  • a lawn that is not dense

in this case, there is room for the weeds to sprout up through empty spots

weeding your plants is a tedious job, but if left unchecked, they can steal the nutrients from your plants which would only cause more work for you. A solution to this problem is fairly simple. You can invest in weedkiller from your local garden center. The issue with these is that it could be harmful and irritating to your family and pets.

If you would prefer to avoid using chemicals, there are other alternatives. One trick to try is newspaper. If you mulch it in with your plants, you give the weeds no opportunity to grow. As mentioned earlier, you can also try a mixture of vinegar, salt, and water. It would be cheaper, less harmful, and just as effective as weed killer from the store. The thing about this trick, vinegar works best when it has a higher percentage of acetic acid concentration. This kind of vinegar is considered to be more dangerous that your regular household vinegar. This method is considered best for those weeds that you can’t seem to get the roots for. It helps by drying them out.

To make this mixture, you will need two cups of vinegar and one-half teaspoon of dish soap. Mix in a spray bottle and apply to the weeds. A thing to be noted: do not choose anti-bacterial dish soap. The bottled labeled with “detergent” will work best. It is most efficient to apply this mixture while it’s hot outside. Be careful not to spray on the plants you intend to keep, this mixture will kill those along with the weeds if you are not careful. You may not permanently stop the weeds from coming back with just one spray so if this occurs, just spray the weeds again until they stay away for good.


Below is a link to more information:

https://www.backyardstyle.com/how-to-get-rid-of-weeds/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

 Willow Trees + More I don't think I know anyone else who has a favorite kind of tree. Some people have favorite trees because it has some kind of deeper importance to them. Some may even carve their initials into it. The kind of "favorite" I'm talking about is different.  I grew up in a neighborhood that was tucked away behind other neighborhoods. On the drive home we would always pass by this massive willow tree . I love how they look. The leaves flow so beautifully in the wind. I feel as though I pay more attention to trees than the average person. Cherry blossom trees, apple trees, willow trees. They are all so very different from each other, yet they are all categorized the same, as a tree. Different sizes, shapes, colors, fruits, blossoms, etc. It is very peculiar, but special at the same time.  I've mentioned other kids of trees in previous posts that provide more information, or nostalgia in my case, that I think pair well with this theme of trees.  Cherry...

Flower Seeds or Pre-grown Flowers

 This or That? Come Springtime, you decide it is time to go to your local garden center and restock on your outdoor flowers for your home. Do you reach for the flower seeds or the pre-grown flowers ?  Growing up, my mom would take me to the garden center at our local Home Depot to help her pick out this year's selection of flowers. Not once did we ever buy the flower seeds. Always the pre-grown flowers . I can understand why majority of people would buy the pre-grown flowers. It's easier, faster, less time consuming, and overall, just more convenient. I have a hunch that when I become a homeowner the chances are high that I will buy the pre-grown flowers instead of the seeds.  On the other hand, buying flower seeds would make me feel more accomplished. Sure, it takes longer to see the results and it requires more work, but I would look at those flowers and know that I did that all on my own. It is definitely harder to grow flowers from the seeds and there is a chance th...