Skip to main content

Hydrangeas vs Lilacs

Hydrangeas and Lilacs, two of my favorite flowers. They are so similar yet so different. Both equally beautiful but require different care in some ways. 

 

A few similarities between the two plants:

-       Both plants are perennial

This just means that lilacs and hydrangeas die off at the end of the season and bloom again in the early spring. 

-       Classified as flowering shrubs

Hydrangeas and Lilacs both have very distinct looking flowers. Their greenery do resemble shrubs although it's hard to ignore that pop of color from the vibrant flowers. 

-       Drought tolerant

Hydrangeas and lilacs are both able to withstand drought weather.

-       Acidic soil requirement

Both plants require acidic soil to keep them healthy, lilacs can handle acidic to neutral.


Even though these two plants seem to be similar, they also have a number of differences that set them apart:

-       Leaf shape

Hydrangeas have different leaves than lilacs in the sense that hydrangea leaves are lobed, glossy, and somewhat leathery. Lilac leaves are heart shaped.

-       Leaf color

Hydrangeas have light green leaves while lilac leaves have dark green leaves. Although in the fall, hydrangea leaves turn to a yellow/green color and lilac leaves turn yellow then brown.  

-       Origin

Hydrangeas initially came from China, Japan, Korea, and Indonesia. Meanwhile, lilacs came from Europe and North America.

-       Environment

The best natural environment for hydrangeas to grow in would be a forest area with hillsides or in the woods. Lilacs grow better on roadsides or in rocky areas.


It could be difficult to decide which flower to choose from to add into your garden, although you can’t go wrong with either choice. Each with their unique scents and physical appearances, hydrangeas or lilacs will definitely add value to any area they live in.


Fun facts:

https://www.woottensplants.com/blog/what-are-the-benefits-of-regularly-repotting-plants/

https://lilaclovefest.com/fun-facts/#:~:text=Fun%20Facts%201%20They%20can%20be%20pruned%20to,through%209%20depending%20on%20type.%20...%20More%20items


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

 Willow Trees + More I don't think I know anyone else who has a favorite kind of tree. Some people have favorite trees because it has some kind of deeper importance to them. Some may even carve their initials into it. The kind of "favorite" I'm talking about is different.  I grew up in a neighborhood that was tucked away behind other neighborhoods. On the drive home we would always pass by this massive willow tree . I love how they look. The leaves flow so beautifully in the wind. I feel as though I pay more attention to trees than the average person. Cherry blossom trees, apple trees, willow trees. They are all so very different from each other, yet they are all categorized the same, as a tree. Different sizes, shapes, colors, fruits, blossoms, etc. It is very peculiar, but special at the same time.  I've mentioned other kids of trees in previous posts that provide more information, or nostalgia in my case, that I think pair well with this theme of trees.  Cherry...

Flower Seeds or Pre-grown Flowers

 This or That? Come Springtime, you decide it is time to go to your local garden center and restock on your outdoor flowers for your home. Do you reach for the flower seeds or the pre-grown flowers ?  Growing up, my mom would take me to the garden center at our local Home Depot to help her pick out this year's selection of flowers. Not once did we ever buy the flower seeds. Always the pre-grown flowers . I can understand why majority of people would buy the pre-grown flowers. It's easier, faster, less time consuming, and overall, just more convenient. I have a hunch that when I become a homeowner the chances are high that I will buy the pre-grown flowers instead of the seeds.  On the other hand, buying flower seeds would make me feel more accomplished. Sure, it takes longer to see the results and it requires more work, but I would look at those flowers and know that I did that all on my own. It is definitely harder to grow flowers from the seeds and there is a chance th...

How to Get Rid Of Weeds

How To Get Rid of Weeds What is the number 1 enemy of gardening? Weeds. They seem to always be around. There’s a number of reasons as to why they come around and a number of ways to get rid of them. So, lets get into it. If you see weeds, this isn’t necessarily a bad sign. It means that your soil is healthy. You could rip the weed out of the soil and think problem solved. Although, that’s not entirely how it works. Weeds are only really gone if you pull them out from the roots. Otherwise, they’ll make a reappearance before you know it. You can buy weed killer from the store, which works well. But there’s a diy you may not know about: vinegar. It’s inexpensive and chances are you may already have it in the kitchen. If you’re going to get rid of weeds, it would probably do you some good to figure out why they show up in the first place. Usually, this is because: the roots still remain in the soil as I stated earlier, if the roots are not pulled up with the weeds, then they wi...