Skip to main content

Butterfly Bushes, why do we need them?

 Butterfly Bushes



Butterfly bushes are one of the best ways to add more than beautiful flowers to your landscape. These plants attract butterflies which will help your bushes as well as the other plants surrounding it. 


You may not realize it, but butterflies are pretty important to the environment. Along with bees, they help aid with plant pollination. They are drawn to yellow and red flowers the most, due to their higher nectar count. The way this is done is by nectar sticking to the bodies of butterflies while they feed on the nectar, and it is transferred to other flowers they land on. 


Another benefit is that butterflies will keep your other plants in control. As caterpillars, they feed on leaves and seeds in the area. This allows for your current plants to be trimmed and maintained so they do not grow out of control. 


Although having butterflies nearby may seem pesky to some, scientists say that having butterflies in the area determines a healthy ecosystem. If butterflies are spotted, then it is known that other invertebrates are in the area as well. 


Along with helping the environment, you'll also be helping yourself. Including butterfly bushes will allow you the opportunity to get outside and take a look at the beauty of the flowers as well as the butterflies it attracts. Get some fresh air and more steps in your day. 


Yes, it is true that caterpillars will eat your leaves while they transform, but it's worth the sacrifice. Adding butterfly bushes can help not only you and your garden but the ecosystem as well. 


More information can be found in this link below:

https://topdreamer.com/facts-and-information-you-need-to-know-about-the-buddleia-butterfly-bush/#:~:text=The%20following%20are%20some%20fun%20and%20important%20facts,before%20planting%20one%20in%20your%20garden.%20More%20items

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/gardening/attracting-butterflies/flowering-shrubs-attract-butterflies/





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

 Willow Trees + More I don't think I know anyone else who has a favorite kind of tree. Some people have favorite trees because it has some kind of deeper importance to them. Some may even carve their initials into it. The kind of "favorite" I'm talking about is different.  I grew up in a neighborhood that was tucked away behind other neighborhoods. On the drive home we would always pass by this massive willow tree . I love how they look. The leaves flow so beautifully in the wind. I feel as though I pay more attention to trees than the average person. Cherry blossom trees, apple trees, willow trees. They are all so very different from each other, yet they are all categorized the same, as a tree. Different sizes, shapes, colors, fruits, blossoms, etc. It is very peculiar, but special at the same time.  I've mentioned other kids of trees in previous posts that provide more information, or nostalgia in my case, that I think pair well with this theme of trees.  Cherry...

Flower Seeds or Pre-grown Flowers

 This or That? Come Springtime, you decide it is time to go to your local garden center and restock on your outdoor flowers for your home. Do you reach for the flower seeds or the pre-grown flowers ?  Growing up, my mom would take me to the garden center at our local Home Depot to help her pick out this year's selection of flowers. Not once did we ever buy the flower seeds. Always the pre-grown flowers . I can understand why majority of people would buy the pre-grown flowers. It's easier, faster, less time consuming, and overall, just more convenient. I have a hunch that when I become a homeowner the chances are high that I will buy the pre-grown flowers instead of the seeds.  On the other hand, buying flower seeds would make me feel more accomplished. Sure, it takes longer to see the results and it requires more work, but I would look at those flowers and know that I did that all on my own. It is definitely harder to grow flowers from the seeds and there is a chance th...

How to Get Rid Of Weeds

How To Get Rid of Weeds What is the number 1 enemy of gardening? Weeds. They seem to always be around. There’s a number of reasons as to why they come around and a number of ways to get rid of them. So, lets get into it. If you see weeds, this isn’t necessarily a bad sign. It means that your soil is healthy. You could rip the weed out of the soil and think problem solved. Although, that’s not entirely how it works. Weeds are only really gone if you pull them out from the roots. Otherwise, they’ll make a reappearance before you know it. You can buy weed killer from the store, which works well. But there’s a diy you may not know about: vinegar. It’s inexpensive and chances are you may already have it in the kitchen. If you’re going to get rid of weeds, it would probably do you some good to figure out why they show up in the first place. Usually, this is because: the roots still remain in the soil as I stated earlier, if the roots are not pulled up with the weeds, then they wi...