Skip to main content

9 Reasons Why Succulents Are Easier Plants Than Others

 Succulents

If you’re anything like me, you sometimes find that you lack the time or skill to care properly for regular houseplants. Between work, being a full-time student, and poor memory, I struggle to keep my plants in tip-top shape.

Not ready to throw in the towel and try fake plants? Good news, there is in fact a solution for you: succulents.

Here’s a list of 9 fun facts about succulents that make these plants an easy challenge for beginner plant parents:

1.     Succulents are drought-resistant plants

  Their leaves can store water for longer periods of time mainly due to them being thicker than other plants.

2.     The size of the leaf matters

 Succulents that have smaller leaves do better in places of high elevation. Often times, these plants can be confused for cacti, but they are quite different.

3.     There are 10,000 kinds to choose from

These 10,000 categorize into 60 different families. The most common kind are cacti or aloe.

4.     Succulents come in many different colors

Typically, when we think of plants, we see green. But in fact, these plants have a lot of variety to them. It is possible for these to have hints of pink, blue, yellow, orange, red, or even purple.

5.     They are very easy to grow

 Good news if you’re a beginner! You can take a leaf from a grown succulent and use that to make an entirely new plant.

6.     Bug-free

Not a fan of pests? It’s uncommon for plants like these to attract bugs, unlike others.

7.     Low maintenance

Succulents don’t require much water to thrive. The leaves hold on to the nutrients and release them into the rest of the plant when it’s without as much water.

8.     Can grow in different climates

It is true they prosper better in hot, dry weather. Although, they can also stand sturdy in cold weather too. This is what allows succulents to grow in any part of the country.

9.     Protection from the sun

Ever felt a succulent and realized it has a chalk-like feeling on the leaves? This characteristic is used to save them from the sun. this substance is also what helps protect succulents from disease as well as bugs.



More information about succulents can be found here; 

https://www.sublimesucculents.com/10-interesting-facts-succulents/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

 Willow Trees + More I don't think I know anyone else who has a favorite kind of tree. Some people have favorite trees because it has some kind of deeper importance to them. Some may even carve their initials into it. The kind of "favorite" I'm talking about is different.  I grew up in a neighborhood that was tucked away behind other neighborhoods. On the drive home we would always pass by this massive willow tree . I love how they look. The leaves flow so beautifully in the wind. I feel as though I pay more attention to trees than the average person. Cherry blossom trees, apple trees, willow trees. They are all so very different from each other, yet they are all categorized the same, as a tree. Different sizes, shapes, colors, fruits, blossoms, etc. It is very peculiar, but special at the same time.  I've mentioned other kids of trees in previous posts that provide more information, or nostalgia in my case, that I think pair well with this theme of trees.  Cherry...

Flower Seeds or Pre-grown Flowers

 This or That? Come Springtime, you decide it is time to go to your local garden center and restock on your outdoor flowers for your home. Do you reach for the flower seeds or the pre-grown flowers ?  Growing up, my mom would take me to the garden center at our local Home Depot to help her pick out this year's selection of flowers. Not once did we ever buy the flower seeds. Always the pre-grown flowers . I can understand why majority of people would buy the pre-grown flowers. It's easier, faster, less time consuming, and overall, just more convenient. I have a hunch that when I become a homeowner the chances are high that I will buy the pre-grown flowers instead of the seeds.  On the other hand, buying flower seeds would make me feel more accomplished. Sure, it takes longer to see the results and it requires more work, but I would look at those flowers and know that I did that all on my own. It is definitely harder to grow flowers from the seeds and there is a chance th...

How to Get Rid Of Weeds

How To Get Rid of Weeds What is the number 1 enemy of gardening? Weeds. They seem to always be around. There’s a number of reasons as to why they come around and a number of ways to get rid of them. So, lets get into it. If you see weeds, this isn’t necessarily a bad sign. It means that your soil is healthy. You could rip the weed out of the soil and think problem solved. Although, that’s not entirely how it works. Weeds are only really gone if you pull them out from the roots. Otherwise, they’ll make a reappearance before you know it. You can buy weed killer from the store, which works well. But there’s a diy you may not know about: vinegar. It’s inexpensive and chances are you may already have it in the kitchen. If you’re going to get rid of weeds, it would probably do you some good to figure out why they show up in the first place. Usually, this is because: the roots still remain in the soil as I stated earlier, if the roots are not pulled up with the weeds, then they wi...